Multiple monitor position in linux

I have been using Cinnamon for my window manager on my linux desktop. I’m using a Thinkpad T460p with the dock and a pair of U2311H monitors rotated to the left side by side. This config is fairly easy to setup in Windows and OSX and works on linux but can require a little more fiddling.

The default cinnamon display settings dialog did not allow me to position the monitors relative to each other. Instead if I tried to drag a monitor closer or change it’s position the displays would flip around to be on top or on the bottom. There was no small adjustments, just wild snapping around.

So dragging an application window or even moving the mouse from my two monitors to the laptop meant that if I exited the dell monitor high up on the panel the mouse would appear low on my laptop’s display. Additionally the panels appeared to have a large buffer space between them so that when dragging a window across displays it disappears into the upside-down (You should really watch Stranger Things on Netflix) for a bit before reappearing on the next monitor.  This incongruity bothers me to no end.

Then a stumbled upon ARandR, a fantastic little tool for adjusting your monitor’s position and resolution. It’s in the It’s a gui front end for xrandr and it works perfectly! No manually counting pixels to adjust your monitor’s relative position.

The best part is, now that I fixed the position in ARandR the cinnamon display settings dialog seems to work as expected? I’m sure it’s a bug but I don’t have time to track it down.

If you find yourself about to pull your hair out with multi-monitor position and orientation in linux try ARandR!

Rainbowstream config error fix

I have been playing around with a neat console based twitter client called rainbowstream. After installation and initial config I kept getting

Your ~/.rainbow_config.json is messed up:
>>> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/username/.rainbow_config.json'

errors when starting the client. The config in your home directory is for per-user customizations.

I tried touching an empty file in my home directory but I then received:

Your ~/.rainbow_config.json is messed up:
>>> No JSON object could be decoded

So then I found the default config in the rainbowstream app directory and copied it over top of the config in my home directory:

cp /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/rainbowstream/colorset/config ~/.rainbow_config.json

This worked perfectly and now rainbowstream doesn’t complain on startup anymore.

EDIT: Thanks to Naik for providing the updated paths for debian based distros in the comments below!


Latest Solaris 10 patch bundles

I don’t know if it’s just my own ignorance or oracle purposely obfuscating the latest patch bundles for Solaris but I recently had a hell of a time finding the January 2017 patch bundle for Solaris 10. Oracle kept sending me to a page recommending I use which of course no longer resolves.

Finally I was able to find the following links for the latest current patch bundles for solaris 10 (OTN login and service contract required of course). Once you log into your oracle OTN account you can use the following links to get the latest Solaris 10 patches.

FreeBSD update cowardly refusing to proceed any further

I was recently upgrading one of my FreeBSD servers to 11-RELEASE and encountered an issue I haven’t run into in a while.

# freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.0-RELEASE
src component not installed, skipped
Looking up mirrors… 4 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.3-RELEASE from… done.
Fetching metadata index… done.
Fetching 2 metadata patches.. done.
Applying metadata patches… done.
Fetching 1 metadata files… done.
Inspecting system… done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic world/base

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
world/doc world/games world/lib32

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from… done.
Fetching metadata index… done.
Fetching 1 metadata patches. done.
Applying metadata patches… done.
Fetching 1 metadata files… done.

The update metadata is correctly signed, but
failed an integrity check.
Cowardly refusing to proceed any further.

I have run into this in the past but I couldn’t remember what the solution was until I searched for it. Dan’s blog has the answer.

Mac OSX powerd high cpu usage in activity monitor

I was recently in Activity Monitor checking network info when I noticed that powerd was using an inordinate amount of CPU time on my macbook. It’s a little odd for the power management daemon to be the source of a power problem!

powerd After poking around a little more I noticed that the activity monitor stores power consumption infomation and the light switched on in my head. A quick look at top confirmed my suspicions.

top-ocpuThe reason powerd appears to be using a lot of CPU time is because when you have activity monitor open it’s querying it for power information. So if you suspect powerd is using a lot of CPU time I suggest closing Activity Monitor and using “top -o cpu” instead.